The County Clerk's office is prohibited from providing legal advice, advice on how to complete documents or on which forms to use, and from accepting illegible documents.
With the passage of HB 2093, we are prohibited from recording a certified copy of a death certificate if it contains medical information stating the cause of death. This amends ORS 432.124. Additionally, if a certified copy of an Oregon death certificate is presented for recording and it contains medical information related to the cause of death, or if the certified copy has been altered, the document will be rejected and returned unrecorded.
Effective Monday, June 4, 2018, most documents will be assessed an additional $40 recording fee. This is the direct result of the passage of HB 4007, for the benefit of housing-related programs for the State of Oregon. A limited number of documents are exempt; these include:
• Instruments that are otherwise exempt from recording or filing fees under any provision of law.
• Any satisfaction of judgment or certificate of satisfaction of judgment.
• Internal county government instruments not otherwise charged a recording or filing fee.
• Affidavits of Annual Assessment (mining claims).
• Warrants issued by the Employment Department pursuant to ORS 657.396, 657.642, and 657.646.
• A certified copy of a judgment, a lien record abstract as described in ORS 18.170, or a satisfaction of judgment noticed by recor -dation of a lien record abstract.
• Instruments presented for recording by the Department of Revenue or County Tax Collector.
The $5 fee for additional pages will not be affected. Documents submitted with insufficient fees will be returned unrecorded.
The Columbia County Clerk’s office offers electronic document recording (E-Recording). We currently contract with Simplifile.
First Page Requirements
The first page shall contain the following information (ORS 205.234). If not on the first page, an additional fee of $20 will be charged (ORS 205.327). A cover page when properly prepared that reflects your transaction may be used when presenting the document for recording (ORS 205.234(2) in order to avoid the non-conforming fee. See an example of a cover page.
Other Requirements (ORS 205.232)
County Recording Label Preferences