Marriage license applications are accepted by appointment only. If you have questions we can be reached via phone or email.
To apply, please fill out the Online Marriage Application prior to scheduling an appointment.
Both parties must be present to purchase a marriage license.
- the fee for an Oregon Marriage License is $50.00, (we accept cash or check only.)
- bring valid photo ID
- Oregon law requires a three-day waiting period after a license is purchased and is valid for 60 days after the issue date.
- the license can only be used in the State of Oregon
- Oregon State law does not allow the marriage of first cousins or nearer of kin
- no medical exams or blood tests are required.
Consent for applicants 17 years of age:
- Oregon Law prohibits the issuance of a marriage license to anyone under 17 years of age. Applicants who are 17 years old must obtain the written consent of their parent or guardian.
Who can perform the ceremony?
- anyone authorized by an active religious congregation or secular organization
- a State of Oregon Judicial officer
- an Active Judge of federal court
- an active United States Magistrate Judge
- the Columbia County Clerk.
- A marriage ceremony may not be performed before the “License Effective" date, which is three days after the date on which the license was issued by the County Clerk’s office.
- A marriage ceremony may not be performed after the license expires, which is 60 days after the “License Effective” date.
For ceremonies performed by the Columbia County Clerk: (We are not performing marriage ceremonies at this time)
The Columbia County Clerk is happy to perform your marriage ceremony. You must make an appointment with the Clerk by calling 503-397-3796. Please remember you will need to provide two witnesses. The fee for this service is $117.00.
After the Ceremony:
- Following the marriage ceremony, the completed license with a record of marriage must be returned to the Columbia County Clerk’s office at 230 Strand St., St. Helens, OR 97056 within five days. The officiant is responsible for returning the license with a record of marriage.
Requesting certified copies of marriage licenses:
- certified copies of marriage licenses are not sent automatically and may be requested from the County Clerk's office if the marriage license was obtained from our office.
- fees are $8.00 for the first copy and $4.00 for each additional copy when ordered at the same time
- a certified copy cannot be obtained until after Columbia County receives the original Marriage License back from the person performing your ceremony
- you may request a certified copy in person or by mail.