Anyone who prepares or serves food in a restaurant or other food facility licensed under Oregon law is required to obtain a valid food handler card.
Food handler information
According to ORS 624.020 or 624.320, food handlers include, but are not limited to, cooks, wait staff, dishwashers, delivery drivers and bus persons.
- food service workers are required to have a food handler card within 30 days of beginning work (OAR 333-175)
- the cost of the card is $10
- the card is valid for three years and can be used in all Oregon counties
- a valid, non-expired Food Manager Certificate is an accepted alternative
- Oregon regulations also require every child care professional to take a state-approved food handlers course. Childcare providers testing is available through Child Care Development Services.
Food handler cards issued from other states and these private companies are not valid in Oregon.
Apply for your food handlers card
- Online: Oregon Food Handlers
- In person: No in person option. Currently all testing is being done online.
- Replacement cards:
- Online cards: print for free, contact the provider directly for help
- In person: $5 for each duplicate card
Food Safety – Food Handler Manual
Food Handler Manuals are available online in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian and Korean.
Food Manager Certification
In Oregon, the food manager certification isn’t required by law.
Benefits of having a Food Manager Certification include:
- Satisfies the “Demonstration of Knowledge” and “Person in Charge” requirements of the Oregon Food Code
- Accepted in lieu of a Food Handler Card and valid for 5 years
- List of all valid Food Manager Training Courses accepted in Oregon
For more information about Food Handler Cards, call us at 503-397-7247.