District Attorney FAQs

No answers matched your search
District Attorney Questions
Who is the District Attorney for our County? Can you tell me a little bit about him?

The District Attorney of Columbia County is Joshua Pond. A veteran in the criminal justice system, Mr. Pond has been a Deputy District Attorney in the Columbia County District Attorney's office since September 2022. Before joining the D.A.'s Office, he worked in the criminal justice system for nearly 15 years.

Where is your office located?

230 Strand St., Room 336, St. Helens, OR 97051

How many attorneys are in the District Attorney office?

We have six Deputy District Attorneys in addition to the District Attorney.

I am a victim in a charged case. Does this mean I will have to testify in court?

Not every victim is required to testify in court. Many cases resolve prior to trial by way of a negotiated sentence. Negotiated sentences are designed to balance the interests of both parties, as long as it protects the public and provides justice to the victim. A victim’s concerns and rights are always part of a prosecutor’s consideration in negotiating a disposition. 

I was the victim of a crime. Can you tell me the name of the defendant and the next court date?

Yes, the District Attorney's Office can provide you with the name of the defendant and the next court date, if charges have been filed. Please feel free to call the Victim Service Unit at 503-366-3914 to find out more information. 

I am the victim of a crime, does the district attorney office represent me? Can the prosecutor give me legal advice?

The District Attorney represents the People of the State of Oregon and does not give legal advice on behalf of individual citizens. For private matters please contact a private attorney. Lawyer referral services are available through the Oregon State Bar.

I was the victim of a violent crime and I am having a hard time paying for medical, funeral, mental health, and other related losses. Where can I get help?

The Oregon Victim Compensation Program (CVCP) can assist you and your family with out-of-pocket cost related to the crime, such as medical and counseling bills. Our Victim Services Unit can help you fill out the proper forms.  Please call their office to find out more information.

I am the victim of a crime, I would like to know when an inmate will be released from prison? Who should I contact?

Oregon has a notification system called Victim Information and Notification Everyday (VINE) that allows victims to receive telephone or email alerts regarding the release, transfer, or escape of a designated inmate. VINE is available in several languages. Anyone can call 1-877-OR-4-VINE or register online.  All registrations are confidential.

I have lost money as a result of a crime, will your office help me receive compensation, or do I have to go to civil court for that?

It is the District Attorneys policy to assist victims of crimes in receiving restitution from convicted defendants in every appropriate case.  Please contact our Office at 503-39-0300 or visit the Restitution page for additional information.  

I changed my mind and I want to drop charges. Can I do this?

The District Attorney's Office represents the People of the State of Oregon, not an individual victim. The District Attorney's Office will make the final decision as to whether or not charges will be dismissed.  However, a victim's wishes will always be taken into consideration.

My son is a juvenile charged with a crime. Will his juvenile proceedings/records be open to the public?

Proceedings in juvenile court are not open to the public. Juvenile court attendees generally only include the juvenile, parents or guardian, probation department representative, attorneys involved in the case, and certain court personnel. Access to juvenile records are also restricted and require a written petition to the Court for review and release. In certain circumstances including rape, murder or assault, a juvenile may be charged as an adult. In those cases, the juvenile will appear in adult court. Adult court proceedings are open to the public.  

I am the defendant in a case and I can’t seem to get in touch with my lawyer. Can I speak directly to the prosecutor on my case?

No. Prosecutors are governed by a code of ethics that prohibits talking to a criminal defendant who is already represented by an attorney.

I was served a subpoena. Do I have to go to court?

Yes, a subpoena is an order of the court. If you fail to come to court, the judge may impose a fine or a jail sentence. Be sure to bring your subpoena with you to court. 

Where can I get a copy of a police report?

Please contact the law enforcement agency that created the report.

How do I find out if a person has a criminal record?

Unless it is part of a current felony complaint, the District Attorney's Office may not discuss a person's prior record.

I have a complaint against the prosecutor assigned to the case, how do I contact you and how will you respond?

Please call 503-397-0300 with any concern you may have about the District Attorney’s Office and we will respond by telephone or in writing.

What if I have a question that is not answered in your FAQS?

You may contact the District Attorney's Office with any question you may have. We are located 230 Strand St, Room 336, and St. Helens, OR 97051. Our telephone number is 503-397-0300.

Child Support Enforcement
How do I apply for Support Services
  • You may pick up an application at our office, download the application from the Oregon Department of Justice - Division of Child Support, or call our office and we will send you an application by mail.

  • Read the information page carefully and fill in the required information completely.

  • Obtain and provide any requested documents such as divorce decrees, modifications, etc. Failure to procide these documents may delay our ability to help you.

  • Please return your completed Application for Services and return it to the address listed on the form. All applications are processed by the Central Intake Team in Salem. If the Application is dropped at a local office, there may be a delay in processing.

How can I help expedite the processing of my case?
  • Notify us of any change in address, telephone or employer for yourself or the other party.

  • When requested provide signed copies of all support orders. Certified copies are required for some processes.

  • Keep our office advised on any legal proceedings or orders that are taken.

  • Advise our office if your child legally emancipates, joins the military, marries, is adopted or is no longer attending school.  

How long will the process take?

The more information you provide to us, the better equipped we are to assist you. Out efforts may take longer and may not be successful if the non-custodial parent has moved out of the state or to a unknown address, frequently moves from job to job, works for cash pay instead of reported earnings, is self-employed or is incarcerated.

Where can I make a payment

Oregon Department of Justice Child Support; Payments can be made by cash, check, money order, cashier’s check, e-check, debit or credit card. They can be made in person in Salem, at a payment kiosk (there’s one at CCJ), mailed or made electronically.  

Victims Assistance
DA quick links
General Information
Phone Numbers
503- 397-0300
Fax: 503-397-2760
Emergencies: Dial 911
230 Strand St.
Columbia County Courthouse Annex
St. Helens,

Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.